Friday, March 27, 2009

101 Foods That Could Save Your Life: Vegetarian Polish Cabbage Rolls


~~ I am soooo happy today!!! Very glad to have finally had the free time and energy to bring this recipe to life from 101 Foods That could Save Your Life by David Grotto; who is a Registered Dietitian*. I consider this book to be my Nutrition Bible!

I enjoyed eating it a lot more when my little sister and I had it for lunch today :) It was the first time in a long while that we have spent quality time together and we both enjoyed our lunch and each others company! :)


I've owned this book since February of 08, intensely reading and advising the benefits of the foods listed to family and friends and I have had my eye on the Vegetarian Polish Cabbage Roll recipe for months which you can prepare with Boca Crumbles or an alternate choice is Lean Ground Turkey. I purchased Ground Turkey :) which means I should call it Polish Cabbage Rolls since it is no longer Vegetarian! lol Since it was my first day off on a Friday! I found the opportunity to do some grocery shopping and purchased the ingredients. The yummy smell of tomatoes was mouth watering!

The stuffing inside was OMG!!! Out of This World!!! it is still teasing my tongue even after 30 to 40 minutes of eating it. My mother is coming home soon with some Ice Cream for dessert! I can't wait for the rest of my family to try it!





Voila! The photo above was googled. Now that I have a good picture of how the rolls are created, I intend to make my cabbage rolls a lot tighter for a more attractive look but then again I can't complain too much about my first attempt! Still was tastee! Mmmm Mmmmm

I wish I could share the recipe* but out of sheer and grateful respect to David Grotto for his time and efforts of sharing the many benefits of 101 Food That Could Save Your Life.; I personally highly recommend to the HIGHEST degree! to add this book to your personal Library. It is definitely worth the knowledge on knowing what foods are great to feed your body.

Please share when you do purchase the book...
Do you have your own nutritional bible that you can't live without?
Have you already made Cabbage Rolls before and what is your favorite way of preparing it? I definitely intend to get more creative with this recipe. :)

FYI
*101 Foods That Could Save Your Life Blogspot!

*I am so excited to have received permission from Dave himself to share with all of you! :)

Here it is!


Vegeterian Polish Cabbage Rolls
by Ma Tomich

Servings: 6
Prep and cooking time: 90 minutes

This recipe contains eight powerhouse foods.

Filling Ingredients:
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 large head of cabbage
1 pound Boca crumbles or lean ground turkey
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 omega-3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons olive oil

Sauce Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato soup


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Core Cabbage, place in pot, and cover with water.

Bring to boil. Lower heat to medium and cover with lid and cook until slightly softened.

Remove cabbage (smells refreshingly yummy) and place on a dish to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, saute onions and garlici in olive oil until transparent.

Add crumbles or ground turkey, rice, egg, vegetable broth, and pepper. Mix well. (I continued to mix until properly cooked)

When cabbage is warm to the touch, peel leaves and place on a cutting board. Divide mixture into six equal parts.

Fill cabbage leaves and roll. Place rolls with folded end down into 9 X 13 baking dish.

Combine soup and tomatoes in a seperate bowl. Ladle over rolls. Cover rolls in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until cabbage is easily pierced with fork.

Break It Down....
Calories:360; Total fat: 11g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 760mg; Total carbs: 46g; Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 23g.

Enjoy! I would love to learn how your experience was! ")

*********************************************************************************
Recommended Track Of The Day

This is how Happy I am TODAY! :) Magic System's rhythm never fails!!! Can't wait to dance to this at a party!!

2 comments:

  1. EN:
    Just how cool are you? Thanks for the wonderful post about my book. My mother-in-law is going to flip to hear that someone is digging her Polish Cabbage Rolls. We tweaked her original recipe to make them vegetarian and am glad you could still taste the love that went into them.

    She would be honored, as would I, if you wanted to post her recipe on your wonderful blog. You have our permission and our blessing!

    Your new friend,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave! So cool! Thanks to U and and your Mother in law! :) My father was even surprised at how much he enjoyed his cabbage roll with a side of avocado, which I am definitely going to keep nearby next time I make them. It really does taste great with the avocado and I plan to eat it today for lunch ")

    What a treat! Thank you so much for your reply and permission. I appreciate it!

    My sincerest thank you for creating your book, I found your book to be such a great guide in improving my health and loved ones as well.
    ~Hermelynda ")

    ReplyDelete