Saturday, March 14, 2009

How to read Nutrition Facts - Pringles


Pringles!!!! Man I used to jump at the opportunity of buying a large can of Pringles Sour Cream & Onion on sale wherever it's sold especially in Walmart! Now I can easily walk buy them as if I was a foreigner from another country who has no idea what they are; so it's not the first thing I have in mind to check out.

I remember being able to devour the whole large can on my own anytime of the day most often at night....never paying attention to how many calories I'm loading in my belly.

The moment I calculated the total calories that was in one container was the very moment that shocked me into reality, that I need to cut out the careless snacking of empty calories*!

Here goes....

Sour Cream & Onion Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Ounce (28 g, approx. 15 crisps)
Servings Per Container approx. 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 90

Whenever you pick up a product go straight to NUTRITION FACTS, the information is essential to your health.

The first thing I look at is Servings per Container and Amount per Serving,

Servings Per Container approx. 6 means:
A container of Pringles is enough to serve 6 people

Serving Size 1 Ounce (28 g, approx. 15 crisps) means:
Each person can be served approximately 15 chips

Amount Per Serving Calories 150; Calories from Fat 90 means:
Each person will consume 150 calories from eating 15 chips

15 chips barely satisfied my cravings when I used to eat them!

And out of the 150 calories, 90 calories would be from fat.

**************************************************************

Mind you, I was able to eat a whole container on my own; So if I was eating for 6 people in total.....

15 chips x 6 people = That means I ate 90 chips

150 calories x 6 people = Which means I've consumed 900 calories!!!!

90 calories of fat x 6 people = Which means I've eaten 540 calories of FAT!


***********************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************

In reference to my current weight,LiveStrong.com has stated that it would take me 15 minutes of stair climbs to burn off 150calories

so 15 minutes x 6 servings of 150 calories = 90

So it would take me 90 minutes.....an HOUR and 30 minutes of stair climbing to burn a whole container of pringles!

Poor me would have to exert myself for 1 hour and 30 minutes just to get rid of calories from chips!! No wonder it's easier to gain weight then lose weight! Because I could devour the whole container in at least 15 minutes lol lmao.

I am glad that this bad habit is gone now!

******************************************************************************

The Nutrition Value also specifies our Daily Values* as well


% Daily Value* PER SERVING which means PER 150 CALORIES (15 chips) has

A Total Fat of 10g which is 16% of what you need daily
Eating the whole container means that I consumed 60 grams of FAT

Saturated Fat of 3g is 15% of your daily value
The whole container has 18g of Saturated FAT <---- NOT GOOD!!!

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 180mg which is 8% of your daily value and I consumed 1,080mg of Sodium!!!!!

Total Carbs 14g which is 5% of your daily value....
The whole container has 84g of Total Carbs

Dietary Fiber <1g* which is 4% of your daily value....
The whole container has less than <6g of Dietary Fiber...and Fiber is an essential part of our digestion so less than is not good....

Sugars 1g
So I consumed 6g of Sugar

Protein 1g which is 2% of your daily value The whole container had 6g of Protein



I am very glad that I lost a lot of weight from cutting out things like this from my junk food addiction!

I may have shared something that you are fully aware of and/or if you have learned something new please make sure to apply this knowledge to even the healthier purchases you make, you may be surprised with what you may learn. I pray that you may share this valuable information with family and friends who even may suffer from health conditions due to malnutrition.

Cheers To Your Health!!!!

FYI
*I used to confuse the less than and greater than symbols a lot
(>) greater than symbol ......... less than symbol (>)

*What are Empty Calories?

*What are Daily Values?

***********************************************************************************
Recommended Track Of The Day
Something sweet...something peaceful...
Din Din Wo (Little Child) by Habib Koite and Bamada

No comments:

Post a Comment