Thursday, March 26, 2009

Experience after the Gardasil Vaccine: Left Work To Spend 4 Hours At The Emergency Room


Today I overloaded on my snack of Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Granola ~~Pumpkin~~, which is a yum yum source of Omega 3's....due to lack of food and spending 4 hours at the Emergency Room....


Yesterday I was highly anticipating* my first Gardasil* shot. After getting my first shot, I believe I started feeling minor side effects which worsened in the evening. This morning I felt the same discomforts and was advised to go to the Emergency Room as soon as possible...but I pray that this may be of help if you or a family/friend expresses similar discomfort after taking the Gardasil shot through learning from my own experience....will explain my experience in a moment


Here is a briefing on Gardasil


GARDASIL is the only cervical cancer vaccine that helps protect against 4 types of human papillomavirus (HPV): 2 types that cause 70% of cervical cancer cases, and 2 more types that cause 90% of genital warts cases. GARDASIL is for girls and young women ages 9 to 26.*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human papillomavirus (HPV) affects both females and males. HPV transmission can happen with any kind of sexual, genital contact with someone who has HPV—intercourse isn't necessary.*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a FOOLPROOF reason why you should!!

Many people who have HPV don't even know it, since the virus often has no signs or symptoms. That means HPV transmission can happen without anyone knowing it.

When it comes to HPV (human papillomavirus); About 30 types of HPV are known as genital HPV since they affect the genital area.

There are 4 types of the virus you should really know about. That's because they cause the most cases of HPV-related diseases in women.


All HPV types that affect the genital area can cause abnormal Pap tests.


Please take the time to learn more if you fall between the age of 9 and 26...Links are provided below.

************************************************************************************


You must be thinking "Ok Hermelynda....your preaching the importance of learning more about taking the vaccine but you mentioned spending 4 hours in the Emergency Room after taking the shot!!! I don't want to end up spending 4 hours in the ER!

The moment that I was given the shot, I barely felt the pinch but I did feel a slight burning sensation once it was inserted. As I was checking out, I felt a little sensation on my right forearm, which I mentioned to the nurse, she was young maybe around my age and she didn't make any efforts to make a note about it...tsk tsk tsk... I asked about the side effects and she said the common discomforts at the injection site...pain...soreness...i think she mentioned headache but all in all she didn't seem to be willing to give me her undivided attention when I mentioned my little sensation...

As I was walking back to the gym, I felt a minor tightness at different parts of my thighs and calves, the first tightness feeling was around my right hamstring. I had the urge to stretch and at times the feeling would go away. That minor tightness continued throughout the rest of the night on my arms and legs.

The best way I can describe this tightness is as if you placed a piece of tape..... the paperish type of tape the nurse would put over the cotton wool to stop the bleeding after withdrawing blood from your vein..... When you try to peel it off your skin, you'll feel this tight resistance as it comes off. That was what I was kind of feeling throughout my legs...

It got worse when I got home; when I was sitting in front of the computer, I started feeling a tingling sensation throughout my whole body and had the urge to itch all over! Occasionally I felt the tightening sensation on my muscles. Rubbing and itching would relieve the feeling but once I stopped; seconds later it would come back.

I even told my father that I might need a ride to emergency room since I started to worry when the feeling was overwhelming, he suggested I take a hot shower first. And so I did, but before I did that I was racking my brain on some of the things that I ate yesterday and wondered maybe I am having an allergic reaction.....

I mean 30 or 40 minutes before the reaction I had at least 20 crisps of True North Almond Crisps which I've tried for the first time, I ate 5 to 6 of Deerfield Farms Flaxseed mini Granola snacks which I've enjoyed on a regular basis, a half of a grilled cheese sandwich my mother brought home..heh heh*....and a bowl of generic rice chrispies with 1% milk. I had the munchies after having limited time to myself at work.

I also did some googling on Gardasil Side Effects and majority of the side effects mentioned discomfort at the injection site but not much about what I felt on my legs.

I was thinking maybe the Almond Crisps could be of suspect but all in all the shower didn't help. As I laid to rest, my legs was still tingling and giving me the itchy feeling until finally sleep took over me and I couldn't feel a thing.

I woke up not really noticing much but throughout my bus ride to work, I tried my best to sit still, making efforts not to make a scene in the bus to itch. I would cross my legs to the right...the left...the right again, lifting my tight leggings under my yoga pants thinking maybe its just the tights that are causing me to itch...randomly rubbing spots to get some relief!

I made a pit spot at Walgreens asking for a list of side effects and expressed my discomfort. Unfortunately they were unable to provide any recommendation on what could help with relief but one thing that caught my eye on the 3 page print out the pharmacist gave me was this....

.....CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience fainting; numbness, burning, or tingling; or wheezing....


Numbness connected very well to what I was feeling and of course tingling. I didn't think twice about calling my Dr. Additionally, another sensation I was having was a weird swelling feeling ....but my legs looked perfectly fine.

So I called my Dr.'s office and spoke with the Nurse.....As I awaited her call back. My 8:30 training session with "C.M." was ready to get started. As I began her session, I couldn't help but explain my discomfort and during our session I received a call by the Nurse and was advised to check into the ER as soon as possible.

I finished up our workout, canceled my morning and afternoon appointments assuming that I would be back in the evening and prepared to go to Milton Hospital by bus.

65% of my time at the Er was spent catching up on much needed lack of sleep and watching What Not To Wear yeahhhhhhhh :) 35% of the four hour visit was describing the feelings, getting my blood drawn, discussions with the nurse and doctor, doctor doing some minor physical tests and answering questions. Throughout the whole time I was laying on the bed, I didn't feel much on my leg's, it was when I was standing that I felt everything!

The first time I met my ER doctor and described how I felt, he referred to what I think is his Blackberry and read out the side effects that he was aware of that didn't say much of what I was feeling.

Being aware of the fact that I work as a personal trainer in the gym, he questioned how often I did cardio workouts and suspected that possibly doing cardio could have influenced the sensations on my leg...especially when I mentioned that the last time I rode the stationary bike was on Tuesday and before there may have been a week gap since I don't always have time to exercise on my own due to many training sessions.

I'm like wait....no disrespect to him but I had to question that because I strongly doubt it was my spurts of cardio...it definitely had to be the shot and since his blackberry didn't explain what I felt. I passed along the print out I received from Walgreens and he took a good look at it and he made some phone calls.

It looks like the ER Dr. is now up to date on the side effects.... which I respect because I have no doubt that Dr.'s get the most update knowledge of illnesses by experience with patients rather then by the book... Our Dr.'s has so much responsibility seeing numerous patients.

All in all the nurse stated that... I think it's the National Vaccine Department will be notified of my symptoms after writing a report of everything and the ER Dr. has advised for me to see my own Dr. tomorrow and be referred to a Neurologist.

I need to mention to my doctor tomorrow that when I was walking to the bus stop to head back to work and home since I have a doctor's note not to work tomorrow that the sensation worsened....the tightness started to turn to pinches whenever I walked and I had to limp a bit to work. :/

***P.S...forgive me for being long winded, I can't help but write about everything....I am almost done :)

After sleeping for 3 hours once I arrived home, my legs do feel a lot better, note that I do not feel the overwhelming tingling sensation anymore but I do still feel an occasional urge to itch at random parts of my body more so on my legs...even while I am sitting writing this to you.

I believe my side effects is dwindling down and I look forward to a conclusion tomorrow. My little sister was perfectly fine after taking her shot so do not be paranoid due to my experience, I apologize if I did cause you to feel that way. It is fair to provide awareness for those that may end up feeling the same way and know that they were are not alone and actions need to be taken right away.

BTW..Have you taken the Gardasil Shot? Have you taken all three yet? How was your experience? If no....are you planning to?

I will keep you up to date on everything after seeing my doctor tomorrow :) Take Care.

FYI
*I was highly anticipating the Gardasil shot since I prolonged taking it due to fear of side effects, I guess my fears was so strong that I experienced side effects. lol Law of Attraction in action?...

*Are you or those you know in between 9 and 26? Click here to learn more about how Gardasil can potential protect you and loved ones from the four types of HPV

*Who Gets HPV

*I was surprised at how some people were not aware of this shot, even though it was advertised so much commercially. More so surprised by one of the nurses that was assisting my check in. Yet she was of more of a mature age so it's not something she needs to worry about personally due to her profession as a nurse should be aware of more in order to be of further assistance.

*guilty giggle, was pretty late for half of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich...

********************************************************************************
Recommended Track Of The Day



Can't Help But Jump and Smile To This One! I wish the music ended better but I appreciate it nonetheless!

1 comment:

  1. Hey well I just got my first gardiasil shot like 4 to 5 days ago, I had no swelling or reaction to the shot what so ever. then all of a sudden yesterday I started feeling tired, faint kindof,dirreah, and feeling a little sick to my stomach and I feel so depressed. I dont know what it could be from, all I can think of is the gardisil shot. but I was also nerves about the side sffects..so I dont know.. what do you think? thanks

    ReplyDelete